When you register to take part in the CIOB Global Student Challenge, you agree to comply with the following rules and terms of the competition.
To be eligible to compete, a team member must:
- Be currently studying
- Be studying at either HND or Bachelor’s degree level
- Not have previously been a finalist of Global Student Challenge
- Provide a valid email address as part of the registration process
- Each team may have one postgraduate member
- Previous competitors who did not make the final are welcome to compete again
To be eligible to compete, a team must:
- Be made up of four members
- Not have members who are part of another team
- Attend the same university
- Universities can opt to submit a team with members from another institution, but will be solely responsible for paying the registration fees
Other rules regarding eligibility:
- Only full-time students can participate
- You do not need to be a student member of the CIOB
- To provide a valid email address as part of the registration process
- To update their email address if it changes during the competition period
- To provide their own laptop/computer
- There are no age restrictions on team members entering.
- Each member of the team will assume the responsibility of a board member of their ‘company’.
- Participants may be requested to take part in promotional activity relating to their involvement in the challenge, and the CIOB reserves the right to use the name(s) of the participants, their photographs and audio/visual recordings of them in any publicity.
- If more than one team from a university achieves placement in the final 6 teams, only 1 team will be able to travel to the finals and represent the University.
In addition to a tutor, teams may receive support from non-executive directors. This is not a necessity.
Who can be a non-executive director:
- Previous finalists or competitors of Global Student Challenge
- Ideally a member of a local Novus group
- Where there is no Novus member available, the team can choose their own
Responsibilities of the non-executive director:
- Support may be taken from two non-executive directors.
- Must no actively participate in the team’s decision-making process
- No participation in the finals
Travel to the finals
- The CIOB will finance the travel cost for the finalists and their university tutor to the finals.
- Finalists and tutors are responsible for financing and securing their own travel insurance.
- The CIOB will organise and pay for economy class travel to the finals and reasonable accommodation.
- The CIOB has contracts with various suppliers in order to host the finals. In all instances there are specific cancellation and reduction terms which need to be adhered to in order to avoid financial penalties. In the event that these penalties are incurred as a result of cancellations/changes and no-shows by a team or an individual the CIOB reserves the right to recover these penalties from the team concerned.
- The CIOB reserves the right to charge individuals a fee for amendments made to any flights, hotel or activity which results in a cost to the CIOB.
- Finalists and tutors are responsible for financing and securing their own visas. If necessary, the CIOB will supply a supporting letter to accompany the visa application.
- It is the personal responsibility of finalist and guest invited to the finals to ensure that they are in possession of the correct documentation prior to departure.
Competing in the finals:
- The CIOB reserves the right to modify or amend the prize, rules or terms and conditions of the challenge at any time. Any changes will be publicised on the website and communicated to all participants.
- Finalists must be available to travel abroad and participate in the finals.
- Failure to comply with any rules, terms and conditions of the challenge may result in the participating teams’ disqualification and/or the forfeit of the team’s prize. The prize will then be awarded to another team.
- The CIOB does not take responsibility for any delay and/or loss as a result of your failure to reconfirm any flight/and or connecting flight.
- The CIOB does not hold itself responsible for any transportation delays prior to departure, during the course of the event, and after the event, brought about by technical difficulties, strikes, weather conditions or any other unforeseen circumstances that are beyond our control.